Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday: Darkest Fear

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Breaking The Spine and is a fun way to see what books other bloggers just can't wait to get their hands on!


Birthright #1
Cate Tiernan
Paranormal Young Adult
Releases January 7th, 2014 from Simon Pulse

From Goodreads:

Vivi’s animal instincts are her legacy—and maybe her downfall—in this start to a romantic fantasy series that will appeal to fans of The Nine Lives of Chloe King.

Vivi has known the truth about her family—and herself—since she was thirteen. But that doesn’t mean she’s accepted it. Being Haguari isn’t something she feels she’ll ever accept. How can she feel like anything but a freak knowing that it’s in her genes to turn into a jaguar?

Now eighteen, Vivi’s ready to break away from the traditions of her heritage. But all of that changes with the shocking, devastating deaths of her parents and the mysteries left behind. Vivi discovers family she never even knew she had, and a life open with possibility. New friends, new loyalties, and even romance all lay ahead—but so do dangers unlike anything Vivi ever could have imagined.


I'm not overly familiar with The Nine Lives of Chloe King so I have no idea how this book compares to it, but I'm pretty darn excited over the fact that she's a jaguar shifter (I'm not sure why Vivi feels like a freak, how cool would it be to turn into a jaguar?! Honestly ;-). I can't think of many YA novels that feature jaguar shifters so I'm very curious to see how Ms. Tiernan will develop the mythology. I'm a fan of her Immortal Beloved series, so it's safe to say I have fairly high expectations for this book going in. And of course the mention of a romance pretty much sealed the deal for me, you all know how much I love my romance!

24 comments:

  1. A jaguar shifter is pretty unique to YA! And I don't get why she finds herself to be a freak either. I would love to be able to shift into a jaguar! ;) I've read Cate Tiernan's witch series and loved it, so there's no doubt I'm trying this one out when it comes out.
    Great pick, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like some kind of tv-series I saw one ep of

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! another book from Cate Tiernan! I have copies of her Sweep series but haven't got the chance to read them yet. This one looks more interesting though. Like you I'm not familiar with The Nine Lives of Chloe King but jaguar shifter is something new for me. I haven't encounter many books with that kind of character so this is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh nice pick! Haven't heard of this one! Haven't read the author yet either but heard lots about them!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by Tiernan before but I'm glad to see you're a fan! This plot sounds a bit similar to The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong, except that was cougar-shifting I believe. But this one still sounds cool! I hope you get to read it soon, Jenny. Fantastic pick this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAAHHH! I had NO IDEA Tiernan had a new series out soon! I loved Immortal Beloved, so I'll definitely be reading this. Thanks for letting me know, Jenny! I can't wait, now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pick! This is a new to me series that I will have to add to my TBR list. I have never heard of a jaguar shifter either...sounds pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds really interesting with a woman shape-shifting into jaguar. I will keep an eye on this one. Nice pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cover is creepy cool! I mean really the black/white with the dual colored eyes. It has an artsy feel but still very enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely sounds awesome. Definitely looks awesome. I agree with Felicia -- love the design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome choice Jenny! Chloe was a great show that is worth watching. Jaguar is a great creature to shift to. Hope you enjoy this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love her eyes! Great cover! This one I definitely want to look into more as well, it sounds like it is going to be a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YES! I'm adding it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. She can turn into a jaguar? That is awesome!

    Fabulous WOW choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE Cate Tiernan and am hoping that this book is going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oooooo I liked the Chloe King TV show. I'll be looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to have that kind of shift. :) This sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Creepy Cover! I have wanted to try this author. I am not familiar with the Chloe King books either but I have heard great things about Immortal Beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm...Werecat? Wereguar? Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love jaguar shifters, and you're right, I don't think I've seen that in YA. Love the cover too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read anything by this author but I'm pretty intrigued by the idea of a jaguar shifter and am excited to learn more.

    ReplyDelete