Friday, January 16, 2015

Friday Flourish: Paris, Modigliani and Me

Happy Friday Everyone!

As you guys already know, I've been on a bit of a roll at work lately which has been hugely exciting, and I'm so grateful for the chance to work on a wide variety of projects and genres.

I think if I reviewed my portfolio in its entirety paranormal books would outweigh contemporary, but in the end it would be pretty darn close. Last week I had the pleasure of sharing with you an illustrated cover for a YA paranormal mystery, and this week I get to bring you something completely different – a cute YA contemporary set in Paris.

I had such fun working on this cover, everything from the warm and bright color palette to the overall tone of the illustrations is a drastic departure from what I'd been working on leading up to this project, and nothing makes me happier than getting to switch design gears and try new things.

Working on this cover definitely made me wish I could book a flight to Paris in the near future, but alas, I think I'm going to be in snow covered Ohio for a while :) World travel fail. Hope you guys love the cover!

PARIS, MODIGLIANI AND ME


A summer in Paris as a nanny should be a dream job for eighteen-year-old Julie, but it feels more like a consolation prize after not getting into the Art Institute of Chicago, her dream school. Her mom wants her to come back to Texas and attend a state college in the fall, but Julie isn’t sure what she wants anymore.

One thing she does know is that she’s going to find the French father she’s never met while she’s in Paris. Whether her mother likes it or not.

Being a nanny to lively, fashion-minded Genevieve turns out to be fun and good for meeting a trio of intriguing guys. Jean Paul, Clay and Luc show Julie different parts of the city and help keep her mind off the problem of What To Do Next. And of course, Paris is, well,
Paris, and that certainly helps. Also, Genevieve’s mother, Claire manages an art gallery and Julie gets drawn into the Paris art scene. The situation heats up when a new, previously unknown work by Modigliani, one of Julie’s favorite artists, is discovered and acquired by the gallery.

Julie’s affections are pulled in three different directions while she tries to discover if the new Modigliani is real or a forgery, or painted by Modigliani’s mistress, Jeanne Hébuterne. Can the story of Modigliani and Jeanne provide any clues that will help guide her own path? Another
croissant certainly wouldn’t hurt, either.

Paris, Modigliani and Me will release on October 1st from Luminis Books

You can find more of my cover design work at Seedlings Design Studio

43 comments:

  1. You talented woman ;) I love it! It looks so freaking cute and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Write faster so we can design more covers together ;-)

      Delete
  3. Ok, I know I said the last one was my favorite, but I lied. This one is. I absolutely love it. Great job, Jenny. And now you have me daydreaming of Paris, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christina! I figured a contemporary cover would have greater appeal for you ;-)

      Delete
  4. I ADOREEEE THIS COVER!! I so love illustrated covers and this one stands out very well with the balance between illustrations and the title itself as part of the illustrations!
    FANTASTIC job Jenny, you're one talented lady indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pili! I'm type-obsessed, so I love making it as big a design element and focal point as an illustration or photograph:)

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL! Illustrated covers are the best and this is just so gorgeous. You captured the essence of Paris so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love it! It is cute and so fun and I love the soft colors! WOnderful job Jenny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ali, I'm really pleased with it:)

      Delete
  7. You really are cranking these beauties out at a staggering rate! If you keep going at this pace, perhaps you should make Friday your designated "Look at what I designed" day of the week. The colours and font are awesomesauce!

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! I've got 7 more in various stages of completion, so I can't wait to share those too:)

      Delete
  8. Paris - this sounds so cute! Jenny, I love this cover ... from the texture to the fonts to the illustrations. I'm so happy your design study is on an awesome roll, Yay!

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! I'm feeling incredibly grateful to have the opportunity to design book covers:)

      Delete
  9. Jenny we are so pleased with the beautiful cover you've created for Luminis! You do lovely work! The author is thrilled, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased to hear it Tracy! I hope we can work together again in the future:)

      Delete
  10. Aww Jenny you will never stop to impress me! I lovee it. I'm all but fluffy and cute kind of girl, but this is so sweet. Amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cute covers, they just make me happy:)

      Delete
  11. I think this is my favorite cover to date, Jenny! Whimsical and I adore the color palette ! Love Paris and like you, I wish I could book a flight out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, another book set in Paris. I love the simplicity of this cover. As always, lovely. Have you seen the cover for The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah? It is gorgeous and the book is amazing. I just finished it. Highly recommend checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked it up and it's BEAUTIFUL! So simple and pretty:)

      Delete
  13. I ADORE this cover! And Paris, you know I love these international books. I can visit vicariously. And also, one of these days I'm going to have a bookcase of books filled exclusively with books of the covers you've designed. Because seriously, I want every single one. They are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on building that bookshelf myself Candace! I just bought 3 on Amazon to add to the collection. I can't wait for October when I can add this one as well:)

      Delete
  14. I love this! BEAUTIFUL! I really love your work. This totally speaks Paris!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loooove!! Just the perfect amount of whimsy and french-themed! I love illustrated covers the most and I think yours are definitely among my favourite covers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow. This is great, Jenny. Your designs doesn't follow the popular formats, but you seem to have a knack for capturing the essence of the book by design. Lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cute! It's colorful without being overbearing and in your face. The story sounds like a lot of fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a cute and sweet cover, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenny this is easily my favourite cover of yours. I'm so unbelievably in love with it. Plus i'm getting nostalgic just looking at the cover because I absolutely adored Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow great cover, I love it and the colors are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loooove this cover! You're right in that the color scheme is definitely different from your usual assignments but this is just as eye-catching and I love the dress the girl is wearing! Frankly, I'm a little worried about the synopsis--love square?!?!?--but the cover is gorgeous, as always. Amazing work, Jenny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. CLEARLY I HAVE TO READ THIS, OMG!

    And of course, it's a beautiful cover Jenny! It reminds me a bit of Madeline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so talented! I love your covers!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the most ADORABLE COVER. You are amazing. I love how versatile your work is. I am thrilled that you are getting more work and continuing to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete