Thursday, August 11, 2016

Cathy Reviews: The Nettle King

My mother in law Cathy is back today with her latest review! Thanks so much for being my co-blogger of late:)

https://www.amazon.com/Nettle-King-Night-Nothing-Novels/dp/0062286781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470886810&sr=8-1&keywords=Nettle+KingTHE NETTLE KING
Night and Nothing #3
Katherine Harbour
Fantasy
320 pages
Harper Voyager
Available Now
Source: Bought

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
When her beloved Jack disappears, Finn vows to find him—even if it means a daring odyssey into the land of the dead. But saving Jack comes at a terrible price: a dangerous fissure has opened, giving the dead access to the true world.

The lines between worlds are more blurred than ever. Finn’s sister, Lily, recently returned from the Ghostlands, seems to bear no scars from her time there. But then their friend Moth returns from Sombrus, the magical house once owned by Seth Lot, bearing shocking news. Something evil—a fearsome creature bearing a striking resemblance to Jack—has escaped Sombrus and is now stalking Fair Hollow, killing everyone it encounters, transforming them into terrifying Jacks and Jills and recruiting the Unseelie.

It will not stop until it gets what it wants . . .


CATHY'S THOUGHTS
The Nettle King by Katherine Harbour brings the eagerly anticipated conclusion of the Night and Nothing trilogy. This was a series that caught my attention and imagination, so I was thrilled when this final book released and couldn't wait to read it.
 

At the end of The Briar Queen, Jack has gone to the underworld in exchange for the release of Finn's sister Lily. The story begins with Finn trying a number of ways to get to the underworld to bring Jack back. Finn has become so solitary in her efforts to find a way to save Jack that she is unaware of how secretive her friends have become. She also has a blind eye to what is occurring with Lily now that she is back home.
 

Ms. Harbour's depiction of Hell was so well done and creepy. It was like a movie flashing through my mind. The gates of Hell were in a warped and deserted funhouse. It just was so appropriate for the style of the books. Finn's efforts to navigate the underworld was nothing less than a roller coaster of emotions and action. The place was a house of horrors filled with danger and the unknown at every turn.
 

There is an evil loose in the world and a war is brewing. Finn feels responsible because of her efforts to save Lily and Jack. She has thrown off the balance and Ms. Harbour keeps us off balance as we try to gather enough information to answer all our questions. There are twists and turns and many unexpected endings. I don't want to spoil any of the surprises because there are plenty.
 

I could not turn the pages fast enough in my efforts to see what happens to Finn and Jack. I was not disappointed, only sorry the trilogy was complete.

Rating: 4/5 


Find Katherine:

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this series and there are some surprises

      Delete
  2. I'm so intrigued by this series and now that it's completed I might just have to go on a reading binge! Thank you for your review Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for easing binges and I don't think you will be disappointed

      Delete
  3. This is entirely new to me but it sounds fantastic Cathy! Thanks for the awesome review for this and putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the review and it tempted you to add it to your stack

      Delete
  4. I love the covers on these and I'm so glad to hear that the ending doesn't disappoint! I'll have to binge-read these back-to-back for sure! Wonderful review, Cathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I just thought this books had an interesting twist to them. I hope you enjoy them

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a thrilling read, I would read this for the description of Hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so fun and clever. I think fun houses are creepy in general and it makes a perfect setting for Hell!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fantastic finale and that it actually has a lot to offer. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these kind of stories! The kind that makes you feel frantic - like you can't read fast enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you will love this one. It really was a roller coaster!

      Delete
  8. I won this book recently but haven't read the first ones yet. After reading your review I'll make sure I get them to read. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds a very clever fantasy/supernatural read. I'll have to give this series a shot. Thanks for putting it on my radar since I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete