Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Review: Marrying Winterborne

MARRYING WINTERBORNE
The Ravenels #2
Lisa Kleypas
Historical Romance
Avon
416 pages
Available Now
Source: ARC from publisher for review

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
A ruthless tycoon

Savage ambition has brought common-born Rhys Winterborne vast wealth and success. In business and beyond, Rhys gets exactly what he wants. And from the moment he meets the shy, aristocratic Lady Helen Ravenel, he is determined to possess her. If he must take her virtue to ensure she marries him, so much the better…

A sheltered beauty

Helen has had little contact with the glittering, cynical world of London society. Yet Rhys’s determined seduction awakens an intense mutual passion. Helen’s gentle upbringing belies a stubborn conviction that only she can tame her unruly husband. As Rhys’s enemies conspire against them, Helen must trust him with her darkest secret. The risks are unthinkable… the reward, a lifetime of incomparable bliss. And it all begins with…

Marrying Mr. Winterborne


MY THOUGHTS
Marrying Winterborne is everything those who fell in love with Helen and Rhys in book one could hope for, the sparks between them building with every page even as as we uncover a secret about Helen's lineage that could bring their house of cards toppling down.

Helen, despite being the epitome of a well-bred young lady in Society, has the kind of gusto that makes her easy to fall in love with, taking it upon herself to confront Rhys in the opening pages after a misunderstanding has him calling off their engagement. While Rhys would have many a genteel lady quivering in fear with the full force of his personality, Helen admirably stands her ground (and then falls into his bed – not that we can blame her), demanding he listen to her when he would let his alpha male side get the better of him. While she does keep a big secret from him for majority of the book–something that can be needlessly stressful–her reasons for doing so are understandable, and when the big reveal does take place, we're thankfully spared a huge dramatic scene followed by chapters of angst before everything is resolved.

Rhys is as swoon-worthy as they come, a self-made businessman who's kept his rough edges instead of allowing Society to buff them smooth once his wealth became noteworthy. He can be delightfully blunt at times and runs a tight ship when it comes to his department store, but his hard lines and imposing personality are tempered by a sweet desire to make a woman he sees as above him as happy as he can. When he uncovers Helen's secret, he keeps the fireworks to a minimum, showing us just how sexy possessiveness can be (in the context of a romance) without doing unnecessary damage to everything they'd built over the previous four hundred pages.

Overall, Marrying Winterborne is the kind of romance that brings a smile to our faces as much as it does a blush to our cheeks, and is highly recommended both for longtime lovers of the genre as well as those who want to experience it for the very first time.

Rating: 4.5/5

Find Lisa


This book was sent to me by the publisher free of charge for the purpose of a review
I received no other compensation and the above is my honest opinion. 

14 comments:

  1. I like that this is a series and it sounds like this second book did not disappoint at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm, I think this might just be another historical romance series that I need to give a try for sure!
    Thank you for the review and recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just how wonderful was Rhys' reaction to discovering her secret though??? I loved it so much! And I love everything about this review. I loved this book, Jenny and just thinking about Helen and Rhys has my heart fluttering. I think a re-read may be in order!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this author, love your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to read some Lisa Kleypas! What an enjoyable sounding romance, and I like that Rhy's has some rough edges to go with that alpha gentleman style :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to get the first book read so that I can get to this one. I've been seeing such good praise for this book that I'm antsy to get it read myself. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just about finishing up Sarah Maclean's Scoundrel series and was looking for another fun series to start. I think I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been a while since I haven't read a good historical romance but I heard a lot about this author! I need to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wanting to read a historical romance for far too long and I need to get on that! :) This sounds perfect for me and I do like Kleypas's writing! Brilly review! You've added another to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I need lots of fluff and comfort so this might be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What else could we ask for in a romance? Smiles and blushes are exactly what i need. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do not think I have read one of her historicals

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read this author's work before but I love regency romance and will be adding this series to my TBR! Wonderful review! :)
    Miranda's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete